[talk-au] Australian road review

Ewen Hill ewen.hill at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 13:14:04 UTC 2021

Wow Ian,  and I totally agree with Graeme about your time!

The cycling App Strava uses OSM data for their route creation tool and over
the past year or two, I've noticed the percentage of my routes that are
tagged "undefined" has reduced to just a few percent. This might be down to
you in part so thank you and all the other editors.

Well worth the read if you haven't already/

Ewen

On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 at 13:00, Little Maps <mapslittle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks, I've written an overview of the patterns of major roads across
> Australia, based on OpenStreetMap data.
> https://littlemaps692810600.wordpress.com/2021/06/21/australian-roads-in-openstreetmap/
>
> There's lots of colourful maps, charts and tables. It's a deep dive that
> breaks down the total length of motorways, trunk, primary, secondary and
> tertiary roads in all Australian states, and the proportion of each that is
> paved and unpaved. (With two big exceptions, virtually all of these roads
> now have surface tags.) It focuses on the patterns of the roads themselves,
> not tagging patterns. So, if you've ever wondered: (1) what proportion of
> all major roads is unsealed and unsealed; (2) how the Tasmanian road
> network varies from that in other states; (3) where to find the longest,
> unpaved, trunk road in Australia; and (4) many other nerdy road facts,
> please take a read. Cheers Ian

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill