[talk-au] [EXTERNAL] Re: Low quality road classification contributions in SA via Microsoft Open Maps Team - contact point?

Nemanja Bracko (E-Search) v-nebrac at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 28 11:18:27 UTC 2021

Hi all,

As promised, I'm providing an update regarding the internal check.
Our maintenance team has checked what happened, and here are the results:

  *   We have used the following query<https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/18UG> to filter all ways that may be affected for this task which we have started on 06/09;
  *   The total number of the ways (segments) is 4,089 produced by our team;
  *   1,566 ways had no issues at all;
  *   1,244 individual roads (mapped as 2,523 segments) had classification error, however:
     *   409 roads (1,137 segments) provide some connectivity; these roads are not dead ends, however:
        *   60 roads have barrier tag;
        *   349 roads (945 segments) provide connectivity and do not have any barrier tag;

Conclusion:
We have to fix these 349 roads that provide connectivity and do not have any barrier tag. We can adjust their classification in the form of unclassified|residential > service + service=driveway (if/where applicable), but we cannot add any access=private|destination tags since we do not have ground truth.

The rest of the roads will not affect any routing engine since these are either deadends or have a barrier tag.

Thank you for raising this issue. We will try to prevent such situations in the future.

If you have any additional questions regarding this or any future issues, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you all,
Nemanja