[talk-au] Emergency services u-turn connections on freeways

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 04:51:47 UTC 2021

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 at 15:36, Brendan Barnes <brenbarnes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When looking at Hume Freeway data lately, I notice a number of the sealed
> links between the two carriageways are tagged as highway=motorway_link. Eg
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/728917504/history.
>
> Reading the wiki, motorway_link is for the ramps connecting a motorway to
> lower class highways.
>
> Further, checking OSC imagery (and driving past these links a lot),
> signage says: No u-turn symbol: "Emergency & VicRoads Vehicles Excepted" in
> Victoria. Similar Emergency/NRMA links exist in NSW, and I'm sure the other
> states would have similar exemptions.
>
> I can't find Australian Tagging Guidelines on this specifically, so could
> I get a general consensus on:
>
> 1) These links should change from highway=motorway_link to highway=service.
> 2) Add emergency=designated to prevent routing issues.
> 3) Is anything else, like motor_vehicle=permit, or a
> restriction=no_right_turn / except=emergency required to be understood by
> most routing engines? Or does emergency=designated suffice?

IMO they should be

highway=service (though the emergency= and access= tags are most important
here)
emergency=designated
access=no/private (per wiki =permit is where the permit is usually granted,
if most people can't get a permit then =private is better)

These access tags alone should suffice, but if you want you could add a
restriction=no_u_turn (to map what's actually signposted as opposed to
no_right_turn) with except=emergency.