[talk-au] Phone boxes

Ewen Hill ewen.hill at gmail.com
Tue May 18 01:42:42 UTC 2021

In the UK, you can call a public telephone and the number is on the phone
or surroundings - it was anyway until the inundation of mobiles anyway . In
Australia, T probably wanted to hoover as much from the overpriced
payphones and didn't give you that option.  I don't see anything more
required than amenity=telephone and perhaps the provider but I think there
are very other payphone providers now if any.

Ewen

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 08:01, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yeah, my bad, sorry.
>
> I'll blame many years of only knowing them, & referring to them, as PTs,
> aka Public Telephones!
>
> Thanks
>
> Graeme
>

> On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 16:56, Brendan Barnes <brenbarnes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ah cool yeah I misread "roadside public phone" sorry.
>>
>> T calls them "payphones"
>> https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/payphones
>>

>> On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 15:40, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> No, these are just normal public telephones, that you pay to call any
>>> number you wish, not the (usually) highway emergency phones.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Graeme

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill