[talk-au] Suspicious amount of removed bicycle tags

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 02:07:24 UTC 2021

Bit more discussion going on at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/111889860, welcome to the list
HighRouleur.

These updates are important as a lot of the software and apps that cyclist
> use for course routing takes the shortest or fastest routes which could
> include illegal paths such as footpaths etc.

It was mentioned on this thread already that,

We have default access by highway type documented at

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access_restrictions#Australia
> <
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access_restrictions#Australia

> And formally defined within the data via
> `def:highway=footway;access:bicycle=no` on
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2316741

So routing software which routes adult cyclists along highway=footway
without any bicycle=no would be considered buggy and the routing engine
should fix itself.