[talk-au] Cycling on Victorian paths

Matthew Seale mseale1 at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 3 04:17:59 UTC 2021

Hi Sebastian

The full version of the Victorian Road rules can be found here (or via the link from the VicRoads website)
https://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/in-force/statutory-rules/road-safety-road-rules-2017/014H

As noted in an earlier comment on this forum the Vic road rules apply in roads and road related areas – see rules 11-13.  Footpaths and nature strips adjacent to roads are considered a road related areas and are  subject to the footpath cycling restrictions in those areas.

However there does not appear to be any provision in the Victorian Road Rules that I can find to extend Victorian road rules to all unmarked (I.e. the vast majority) off-road and unsealed paths in Victoria away from roads.

As Tony asked in one of the comments on your changesets, it would be useful to have a link or URL to the VicPol advice, e.g. particularly if there is some other Victorian regulation that extends the Victorian footpath cycling restrictions to other paths away from areas adjacent to roads.

Regards
Matthew