[talk-au] Cycling on Victorian paths

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Sun Oct 3 06:33:54 UTC 2021

Hi all

I am thinking that unless we pay a lawyer and get a legal opinion we
will never be sure what the law is.

Given that uncertainty we have two principles to choose from, I'll
call them the "precautionary principle" and the "somebody else's
problem" principle. (Maybe better called the ground truth principle.)

I hope this does not misrepresent anybody's position but I think
Sebastian Azagra would say that we have a moral responsibility to
protect people from the risk of getting a large fine.

I and others have argued that we OSM should stop at recording what is
on the ground and leave the difficult legal interpretation to map
renderers.

Not sure how we arrive at a resolution.

Tony