[talk-au] Mapping tree cover

EON4wd info at eon4wd.com.au
Thu Oct 7 22:18:17 UTC 2021

Hi,

Further to Andrew Parkers question about forested areas.

I am also a casual user for uploading data and I also create my own maps
from the data.

My interest is in 4wd tracks.

The Grampians has had the 'landcover - tree' 'areas' changed which in my
opinion is now not correct.

See

https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=16/-37.1268/142.3867

The Grampians is a National park and is covered in trees.

There are a number of rocks and rocky outcrops (lots actually) and a few
lakes and roads plus some swamp and rock quarries, but generally speaking it
is completely covered in trees, everywhere, including the rocky outcrops.

I suspect that some well meaning person has mapped what they could see via a
satellite image after a fire went though.

Question, How can I identify this person so that I can contact them to be
able to find out what they are thinking?

Traditionally, the whole area is mapped as tree cover and then other
features are added on top, such as the lakes and roads.

Also towards the SA border there are other treed areas that have been very
carefully traced out. Yet traditionally the whole area is set with the fence
lines and tracks then marked on top.

Not necessarily wrong, but tracing the exact line of where the trees finish
and the road side has been cleared, is not really helpful. Or is it?

Thanks

Ian Winter