[talk-au] Source material.

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Sun Oct 17 22:33:39 UTC 2021

Hi Andrew

Speaking as another relatively inexperienced editor, don't be too
disheartened.

"I used MapShareVic" It takes a bit of getting used to but OSM is very
fussy about allowable sources. There are good arguments for why. It
can be frustrating when you have a perfectly good source that has
given permission but you can't use it. Safest to only use what you
have seen on the ground.

"I decided it was better to delete it and start again" The problem
with this is that you loose the history of the object, I try to
repurpose all the nodes if I can.

"has deleted all the editing I spent many hours on" deleted but not
lost, the record remains, you might be able to use it somehow,
probably not.

Anything that has anything to do with a relation I leave to more
experienced mappers. Start small, leave the big stuff for experienced
mappers.

Keep contributing.

Tony