[talk-au] Monitoring admin boundaries Was: Re: Mapping tree cover

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 08:54:47 UTC 2021

On 11/10/21 8:16 pm, Andrew Davidson wrote:
> On 9/10/21 10:54 pm, Andrew Harvey wrote:
>>
>> Andrew Davidson has been keeping an eye on changes and doing some
>> updates. I've updated a few I noticed changed in NSW.
>
> I checked the existing boundaries in NSW/SA/ACT/TAS last year before
> the other states were imported.
>
> Geoscape (aka PSMA) put out new versions of their admin boundary
> product every quarter, along with a report that lists the diffs from
> the previous release. I've been using these to update the boundaries
> when they change (at least the ones that other mappers haven't already
> done).
>
>> I'm not aware of something up and running spitting out differences,
>> but we could code something up with some tolerance to ignore
>> boundaries out by a little bit.
>
> The boundaries aren't exactly the same as the official versions as
> they have been modified slightly to match up at state borders (and
> some mappers have used coastlines, rivers, roads when they imported
> the boundaries).
>
> It might be worth having a service that reports on when and how much
> an admin boundary changes in OSM to let other mappers have a chance to
> check if this is a real change or an oops.

Some of the "opps' are due to the use of roads, water ways as boundaries
.. where someone changes the road/water which then opens the boundaries.
Where I have come across this in the past I have simply repaired it
using the road/water as the base. Lately I have been using the PSMA and
thus separating the boundary from the road/water, usually this
simplifies things as you don't need a short way through the middle of
roundabouts etc.