[talk-au] Source material.

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 08:05:06 UTC 2021

My mail program has, I think, finally caught up with this... so;

On 18/10/21 9:33 am, forster at ozonline.com.au wrote:
> Hi Andrew
>
> Speaking as another relatively inexperienced editor, don't be too
> disheartened.
>
> "I used MapShareVic" It takes a bit of getting used to but OSM is very
> fussy about allowable sources. There are good arguments for why. It
> can be frustrating when you have a perfectly good source that has
> given permission but you can't use it. Safest to only use what you
> have seen on the ground.
>
> "I decided it was better to delete it and start again" The problem
> with this is that you loose the history of the object, I try to
> repurpose all the nodes if I can.
>
> "has deleted all the editing I spent many hours on" deleted but not
> lost, the record remains, you might be able to use it somehow,
> probably not.

Indeed. It is easy to undo my undoing of your data... just ask. Don't be
afraid of disagreeing with anyone, we all make errors... and we usually
learn best from them.

> Anything that has anything to do with a relation I leave to more
> experienced mappers. Start small, leave the big stuff for experienced
> mappers.
>
> Keep contributing.

Yes, please.

Some comments on JOSM...

Don't use it all. I don't. Use the bits you need/want. The more
frequently you use it .. you come across things that make life easier.

Saving your work locally means it goes on your local drive, so you can
continue editing later rather than having to upload an incomplete edit.
Also hand when your edit is an expanding area and you don't want to go
over the old area already edited.

There are extra tools .. the 'more tools' one has a 'replace geometry'
where you can replace an existing way with your own new way .. it uses
as many of the old nodes as possible and the way history remains... so
people can see backwards in history. Very handy, when I remember!