[talk-au] Source material.

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 09:33:42 UTC 2021

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 at 13:30, Little Maps <mapslittle at gmail.com> wrote:

> By contrast, the list of Vicmap datasets on the department’s VicMap
> catalog includes 4 extra datasets as part of Vicmap, namely (1) VicMap
> Imagery, (2) Vicmap Index (contains boundary and coastline data), (3)
> Vicmap Lite and (4) Vicmap Topographic Mapping (topo maps).
>

> https://www.land.vic.gov.au/maps-and-spatial/spatial-data/vicmap-catalogue
>

> Do you know, were these datasets not listed on the Aus data catalog
> because they weren’t thought to be relevant to OSM or because we didn’t
> seek permission to use them? I haven’t looked at all of them yet but Vicmap
> Lite existed long before the waiver was written so isn’t a newer addition.
> If it contains some info that isn’t in one of the other datasets (unlikely
> perhaps but possible) then that would widen the range of data we have
> permission to use.

Vicmap Imagery is not under an open license (
https://www.land.vic.gov.au/maps-and-spatial/imagery/aerial-imagery/commercial-licensing),
so it's not covered by the Vicmap waiver which applies only to the CC BY
4.0 licensed data.

I never asked DELWP about this, but to use in OSM we'd need an imagery
tracing waiver (which disclaims any rights in derived vector data from the
imagery) and permission to either host or include the imagery layers in OSM
editors and tools.

Vicmap Index is CC BY and is covered by the waiver, but I didn't bother to
list it on the Australian Data Catalogue wiki page because as far as I
could tell it just shows the extent of other maps, so not much use to OSM.

Vicmap Lite is CC BY and is covered, I didn't include it on the list
because I thought it was the same data as from the other products but
generalised, and therefore less useful for OSM. If it's useful then it can
be used in OSM.

Vicmap Topographic Maps don't appear to be CC BY and therefore not covered.
It doesn't hurt to double check the licensing, they have a contact email at
vicmap.help at delwp.vic.gov.au