[talk-au] Melbourne Intersections with duplicate ways and turn lanes

me at diacritic.xyz me at diacritic.xyz
Sun Sep 12 22:07:42 UTC 2021

Thanks Andrew, that was my last understanding as well. In particular,
modeling right hand turns as separate, curved ways when there is no
separate roadway.

Here are of changesets which introduce the types of issues I mentioned.
They mostly seem to be around dual carriageways.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/108100471#map=15/-37.8844/145.2793

https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/82795947#map=14/-37.9685/145.0608
[1]

https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/82695023#map=14/-37.9878/145.0739&layers=N

https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/109871984#map=15/-38.1460/145.1279&layers=N

Diacritic

On 2021-09-13 06:57, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> Do you have a link to a changeset of one you worked on?
>
> I haven't been able to find an example of where it was an issue, but
> generally the rule of thumb is only using separate ways when they are
> physically separated, so sometimes you're splitting into two parallel
> ways for either direction, but not usually for each lane of the road in
> a single direction.
>
> On Mon, 13 Sept 2021 at 01:15, <me at diacritic.xyz> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm relatively new, but I wanted to bring something g to your
>> attention.
>>
>> I came across a couple of intersections that seemed overly
>> complicated; they had lots of turn lanes drawn and were very messy. I
>> created an account, learned the standards for intersections and tried
>> my best to fix them. I started at Heidelberg Rd/Chandler Hwy, and then
>> found more on Punt Road/Hoddle St. I changed those as best I could as
>> well. Then I saw more, and more. Once I started looking, it was
>> everywhere; intersections with multiple ways for lanes, two or three
>> turn lanes with broken restrictions. The West Gate has some sections
>> of parallel lanes as ways for a few hundred meters. Whenever I try and
>> route using one of these intersections, there are multiple confusing
>> steps and "forks" that don't exist in reality
>>
>> Almost all the edits have been from one user; I've sent them a message
>> on their most recent change set, but I'm daunted by the scale of the
>> fixes required. Does this group have any suggestions on where and how
>> to start?

>> Talk-au mailing list
>> Talk-au at openstreetmap.org

Links: