[talk-au] Breaking a beach?

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 03:48:16 UTC 2021

It's a tricky one, and I would say there is no perfect solution here. Going
by the one feature, one OSM element guide
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/One_feature,_one_OSM_element you can
rightly consider a single natural=beach for the whole length, but
simultaneously a different named beach for each named section.

What I did for Bate Bate, in Cronulla, NSW was to split into sections and
have a natural=beach for each section, eg
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-34.0444/151.1637. They are drawn as
different ways but shared/snapped nodes where they meet.

There are other possible solutions with multipolygons or relations, but I
think overall just doing each section as a new way with natural=beach and
it's own name is best. Data consumers who would prefer one area of the
whole length can do a GIS dissolve operation.

In iD you can add nodes along the way and split it, unfortunately iD tries
to be too smart and ends up converting it to a multipolygon relation, which
you then need to remove and retain the tags on the way. JOSM works much
better in this regard, but it's still possible, just messy to do in iD. You
can turn off Boundaries under Map Data > Map Features which unclutters the
map a bit more (though some ways you won't be able to move).