[talk-au] Breaking a beach?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 08:39:29 UTC 2021

On 15/9/21 4:38 pm, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sept 2021 at 13:48, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
> <mailto:andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     It's a tricky one, and I would say there is no perfect solution
>     here. Going by the one feature, one OSM element guide
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/One_feature,_one_OSM_element
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/One_feature,_one_OSM_element>
>     you can rightly consider a single natural=beach for the whole
>     length, but simultaneously a different named beach for each named
>     section.
>

> Yep, that's one issue with it.
>
>     What I did for Bate Bate, in Cronulla, NSW was to split into
>     sections and have a natural=beach for each section, eg
>     https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-34.0444/151.1637
>     <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-34.0444/151.1637>. They
>     are drawn as different ways but shared/snapped nodes where they meet.
>

> Which is what I was thinking, with the other option being delete the
> name from the full beach & just add named beach nodes to each separate
> area.
>
>     There are other possible solutions with multipolygons or relations,
>

> Scary stuff! :-)
>
>     but I think overall just doing each section as a new way with
>     natural=beach and it's own name is best.
>

> That may be the neatest way - just delete the whole thing & re-do it all.

Leave the coast line alone - that is where Oz lies.. :)  And you might,
with luck, find the other boundaries there too.

The 'beach' does not stop at the hi tide mark but extends out to sea...
So I'd remove the beach connection to the hi tide coastline way and map
them for some distance out to sea .. not far but enough to give the
correct impression that sand extends outwards.

That may help with leaving the boundary alone but add ing the individual
beaches...