[talk-au] Tagging hiking path difficulty - Australian Walking Track Grading System (AWTGS)

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 01:54:15 UTC 2021

If it's signposted or we have compatible data for officially
assigned classifications you use a new tag like awtgs=1-5. It would be a
good idea to document this tag if used on the wiki so that others can
understand how to apply it and use it.

We would need to decide if it should only be tagged for officially assigned
classifications, or if every track we can assign a classification and tag
that. I'm leaning towards only tagging those officially assigned.

Personally I'm not a fan of the grading system, but it does exist and so
you can tag it.

The grading system (per descibed at
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/safety/bushwalking-safety/australian-walking-track-grading-system)
is comprised of a few independent variables, like

- steepness (which data consumers can determine via external terrain data)
- length (can be calculated)
- surface (could be covered by the surface=* tag, smoothness=* tag, and
highway=steps)

We already have in use and documented tags in OSM for:

1. trail_visibility=*, which as currently documented covers both how well
signposted a route is and how visible/easy to follow the path is
2. sac_scale=* which is kind of tagging the technical difficulty (eg. do
you need to use your hands and arms to climb up the track, is it highly
exposed on cliff edges etc.)

Then we also have existing tags trailblazed=* and
information=guidepost/route_marker.

I try to map all these specific variables and elements which provides
richer data, but I would also support including officially assigned AWTGS
via awtgs=*.