[talk-au] Another Melbourne intersection for review

Kim Oldfield osm at oldfield.wattle.id.au
Sat Sep 18 11:04:26 UTC 2021

Hi,

When should separate ways be drawn, and when should lane tags be used on
a single way? In this intersection the asphalt is continuous between
parallel lanes, but they are separated by long rubber strips with a
cross section about 20cm wide and 10cm high - not something a router
should expect people to drive over. Should these be separate ways (as
this intersection has been drawn)? Or should lane tagging be used
instead? See the yellow hump between lanes in the bottom of the photo at
https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=-37.794368611389&lng=145.24075834056&z=17&pKey=1146194895843889&focus=photo&x=0.5099759524408607&y=0.6241051450966552&zoom=0
<https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=-37.794368611389&lng=145.24075834056&z=17&pKey=1146194895843889&focus=photo&x=0.5099759524408607&y=0.6241051450966552&zoom=0>

As for changes, I'd suggest removing
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/703254763
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/703254763> and
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/703254777
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/703254777>. Some turn restrictions
could also be added, but many restrictions are not required as the ways
are all one way.

Andrew, are you familiar with this intersection from travelling through it?

Regards,
Kim