[talk-au] Suspicious amount of removed bicycle tags

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Mon Sep 20 06:05:36 UTC 2021

Hi all

I am thinking that OSM maybe could better confine itself to what can
be ground truthed.

If a path exists, motor vehicles are physically excluded and that
there is no signage
motor_vehicle=no highway=path

if there's signage then XXXX=designated or no

Its not for us to judge if the path is legally a footpath. Applying a
bicycle=no is not even correct because under 12 year olds and
accompanying adults can use it.

Let the map renderers and routing engines worry about the legalities
which change over time and which apply equally to the same physical
features and can be applied "globally" by them and let OSM concentrate
on the ground truthed physical features.

Tony