[talk-au] Another Melbourne intersection for review

Andrew Davidson theswavu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 08:54:23 UTC 2021

On 18/9/21 9:04 pm, Kim Oldfield via Talk-au wrote:

> Andrew, are you familiar with this intersection from travelling through it?

No, and it may be some time before I could visit in person :-(

I came across this one because it had a broken turn restriction. Based
on what had been mapped I assumed that someone was trying to give lane
guidance. This is just a standard roundabout except for the fact that
you need to be in the left lane to turn left on some of the arms.

OSRM and Graphhopper will give you correct directions (ie take the nth
exit on the roundabout) but OSMAnd fails to notice you are going to
drive through a roundabout. The first two routers are getting the
correct answer by accident because the fake slip roads have been tagged
as _link, as a result the router prefer to follow the main road into the
roundabout.

It had occurred to me that the same outcome (lane guidance) could now be
given using turn and change tagging.