[Talk-ba] addr:housenumber=bb vs nohousenumber=yes

Michal Fabík michal.fabik at protonmail.com
Wed Mar 24 14:20:06 UTC 2021

Hi all,
only today have I learned about the nohousenumber=yes tag, used for address points with no assigned house number. Since BiH is one of the few countries where permanent dwellings without an assigned house number are still widespread (with Croatia and Serbia having amended their respective laws to abolish this (mal)practice recently), this is of special interest to us.

I (and many others) have been using addr:housenumber=bb so far, where "bb" stands for "bez broja", i.e. "without number". There's even an exception in the JOSM validator to allow this non-numeric value for addr:housenumber in BiH[1][2].

However, https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:nohousenumber discourages the use of addr:housenumber=bb (and other values to that effect). The tag was documented by Dieterdreist[3][4], whom I'm inviting to shed some light here (which is why I'm writing this in English). Was there a specific reason to introduce nohousenumber=yes as opposed to addr:housenumber=<none>? Do any QA and/or data consumers rely on either of those?

I'm all for mass-replacing addr:housenumber=bb with nohousenumber=yes. The obvious advantage is that we would get rid of all the possible variants such as "bb", "b.b.", "BB", "ББ" etc. I just want to check with you folks in case anyone sees any problems with this that I might be missing.

Cheers,

[1] https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/17486
[2] https://josm.openstreetmap.de/changeset/15144/josm
[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Dieterdreist