[OSM-talk-be] Openstreetmap Foundation: the Belgian Chapter

Mark Van den Borre mark at markvdb.be
Thu Aug 5 08:33:10 UTC 2010

Hi all,

2010/8/5 Luc Van den Troost <luc.antw at gmail.com>:

> If you have a solid, well organised structure, you could consider to put it
> in the legal form of a vzw if there is a need for it.
> If there is no structure or organisation at all (as it is now) you will not
> get one just by founding a vzw...
I couldn't agree more. May I also remind participants in this
discussion that openstreetmap (and by extension the volunteer force in
Belgium) is well respected within the community. It is very easy for
us to find respectable partners willing to act as an umbrella for most
of our formal needs.

For a vzw/asbl to be functional (I'm not even thinking added value
yet!), one would need:
* multiple well respected volunteers who have learned to trust each
other blindly. Three is a bare minimum. I'm sure we could find these
if we wanted to.
* funding. A realistic cost estimate:
  * startup cost: 500€
 * annual maintenance cost: 250€, >= 700€ if turnover >=6000€ (or
almost zero if we have a capable accountant volunteering)
 * shutdown cost: 500€

The actual work could only start after that!

Mark
--
Mark Van den Borre
Noormannenstraat 113