[OSM-talk-be] WikiProject Belgium

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 15:49:42 UTC 2010

Ivo De Broeck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie at OSM. I saw the Wikiproject Belgium and the pages were IMHO
> a little outdated (most 2008) and i found the necessary information at
> Wikiproject Netherlands. That s the reason i put a line "help newbie" on
> the Wikiproject Belgium, i hope it will be useful.

Well, the Wikiproject Belgium page is the start page for Belgian related
issues. While the newbie information is valuable, it's not really part of it.
The links to get help are very prominently put on the main page of the wiki
which would be the first thing a new user would see, and the link is in the
navigation box on the left as well.

> It may be a good idea to translate the Wikiproject Belgium in dutch and
> french (and german?). To do that, i suggest to in a first step put all
> information separated pages (like "Potential sources") and put a link on
> the Wikiproject Belgium - page.

Most things have already been split up. Only the potential sources should have
gone to its own page.

About translating: first make sure the English version is alright and not
likely to change a lot anymore. Keeping the translations up to date requires a
lot of work.

> Then we can discuss which links are needed on the Wikiproject Belgium -page
> and start to translate some pages. In my opinion a lot of pages can be
> kept in english but some need translation.
>
> I hope i can connivence a lot of new users by a remake of the Wikiproject
> Belgium-page.

Personally I'd like to see something like http://openstreetmap.nl for Belgium.
That looks much more attractive than a wiki.

Greetings
Ben