[OSM-talk-be] New project

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 14:49:10 GMT 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Ben Abelshausen
<ben.abelshausen at gmail.com> wrote:

> - How is the map evolving (specifically in the area of flanders). Are there
> lots of mappers? How accurate are the maps already?

I'm not very knowledgeable, being from the Netherlands myself, but I
would say: variable. Some cities and villages have been mapped in
exquisite detail (for example, if a street in Antwerpen is not on OSM,
it must be because it doesn't exist), others leave quite a lot to be
wished for.

> - Is it usefull to upload just the gps traces and can we then count on the
> OSM-community to name the streets etc...? We have few people and even less
> time to start naming all the streets. Are there perhaps people that want to
> do this or will we have to do this mostly ourselves? The data would be
> gradually available over a period of about six months.

As they say, "baat het niet, dan schaadt het niet". They might just
sit and wait on the server, but they might also be picked up by
someone.

> - Is there a standard way of adding housenumbers (or ranges of) to the map?

Yes, there's a tag "addr:housenumber" that can be put on a point. For
ranges, one can put the range on the point, or use the interpolation
from the so-called Karlsruher schema, see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema

> - Is it ok to just start using the data? Almost all software will be custom
> developed.

Definitely! It's nice to have a map to look at, but so much better to
have a map that people actually use!

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com