[OSM-talk-be] Fietsnet using OSM

Jan Herrygers janherrygers at dommel.be
Thu Sep 1 16:57:54 UTC 2011

Op woensdag 31 augustus 2011 18:53:01 schreef Kurt Roeckx:

> > > Licenses can be compatible, there are alot of cases of it.  [...]
> >
> > Sadly the contributor terms require an unlimited license (like I said
> > above). And it is that [profanity removed] unlimited license that is
> > incompatible with the ODbL and about any other existing license except
> > public domain.
>
> So they require that if you contribute to OSM that they can put
> any license they want on it, which basicly makes it very hard
> to add new data that's copyright by someone else.

That's right. OSMF did this to make it easy to update the ODbL in the future.
The upcoming change from CC to ODbL took a lot of effort (so I have heard).

> But that doesn't mean that as user of the OSM data you could
> combine the OSM data with other data under a different but
> compatible license.

As a user you get the data under the CC-BY-SA license for now, it will be the
ODbL in the near future. You can combine OSM data with other data and
redistribute the result under any license that is compatible with CC-BY-SA.