[OSM-talk-be] How to import from cartoDB/postGIS to OSM?

André Heughebaert andrejjh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 07:08:50 UTC 2015

Hi Marc,
Thanks for your remark.
Indeed my first question should have been: Is there a place for such data
in OpenStreetMap?

What we have assembled for JunIBIS.be <http://www.JunIBIS.be> is the
positions of units during the Campaign of Belgium 15-22 June 1815.
To make it simple this comes to what? (unit X) where?(lat,long) and
when?(datetime).

This is neither position of old buildings(OpenHistoricalMap) nor what's on
the ground now(OpenStreetMap).
We do use Leaflet(and we could have used OpenLayers) to display this on
Ferarris maps background.
FYI,the Ferarris maps were drawn by the end of 18th century, digitalized
and freely available as WMS thanks to Walloon region.

Our maps are available under CC-BY licence.
Users have the possibility to copy/print our maps and to access our postGIS
database on CartoDB <http://www.cartodb.com/>.
In May,I talked to this project with Nicolas Pettiaux and he gave me the
idea to make this available on OSM.

So my question should be rephrased like this: Is there a
standard/infrastructure to publish locations of historical events?
This is much broader than just military conflicts, it could be natural
events such as volcanos eruptions, earthquakes... or anything else.

If OSM is not suitable for this, maybe the OSM community have an idea of
such thing that would offer a new dimension(time)for Open Geographical Data.
If nothing exist, it's probably time to think about it.
Thanks for your suggestions,

BTW, I'm working for GBIF.org an inter gouvernemental infrastructure that
offers open access to biodiversity data since 2001.
Andre

André (Charlie) Heughebaert