[OSM-talk-be] 2 Interesting Post in the Belgium Forum

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 19:48:36 UTC 2015

Recently there were 2 interesting posts about "mapping projects". One was
about 3D mapping, the other about highway areas. Since not a lot of people
read the forum, I take the liberty to cross post them here:
(note that many links will be broken due to the copy, read the forum thread
to get the correct links)

On 3D

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=31791

Dear friends,

I realize, there is no one 3D model in your capitol:
http://demo.f4map.com/#lat=50.8475882&l … 48&zoom=17

Specification hotw to use is here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_3D_Buildings

Nice examples see: e.g. Nuremberg, New York, Warszawa.
Maybe you could try it?

With best regards,
Marek

On Highway areas:

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=31896

Dear OSM Friends from Belgium,

it is surprise for me but my proposal:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Prop … treet_area
is already over 15.000 times used in the map and in 5 languages avaiable.
See: http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search … %3Ahighway

The russian OSM community did more and has already prepared a special map
which shows streets as areas in highest zoom level:
http://openstreetmap.ru/#map=18/55.7722 … 69&layer=K

I discuss with some guys responsible for mapnik about implementation of
this feature on the main OSM page. Of course, you can map it only, if you
have aerial images in very good resolution. An example cold be this:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/360455846

With summer regards,
Marek