[OSM-talk-be] 2 Interesting Post in the Belgium Forum

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 09:24:37 UTC 2015

I think that Jo already explained the why very well.

You can also question why we are mapping all those cycle and walking
routes. Westtoer will change their network "completely" this autumn, which
means that all the work has to be redone. Until then people will have to
turn to whatever publication/website from Westtoer to get up to date
information.

I have been mapping hunderds of kilometers of walking network in the
Antwerp Province and Pajottenland. But somewhere I have to feeling I have
to redo every meter of it because they might have changed it in the
meantime. And most people will still use wandelnetwork.be with the official
data from Tourisme Vlaanderen because it has a user friendly UI to download
routes. So why do I spend my time on those rather unstable features that
change often ? (Because I love to follow those networks myself and keep
track of what I visited)

Are there really a lot of people using this network data from OSM  ? Or
are/will more people use the highway area data ? I don't know. What
features are important depend on the use you want to make of the data.

some examples:
walking/hiking --> paths, parking spot to start the walk
cycling -> cyclepaths, surfaces, barriers
cars -> streets, streetnames, maxspeeds, house numbers, access
restrictions, turn restrictions, lanes, destinations
trucks -> + max height, max weight
tourists -> some POIS (restaurants, museums, historical buildings, hotels,
etc.), perhaps public transport
wheelchair users -> width, surface, slope of sidewalks
Railway fanatics -> yet another set, typically  including abandoned,
disused railways
energy distribution lovers: power lines, power plants, etc.
3D presentation of a town -> 3D buildings, the real layout of the road,
streetlamps, benches, etc.

There are so many uses of the data and so many things that different people
want to map, that I never ask myself why should someone maps X before Y,
just because I need Y and not X.

But as I said, I do not ask anyone to start mapping those things. I just
wanted to inform people that other mappers / data consumers need 3D
information. And perhaps someone here in Belgium also finds this more
interesting to map than house numbers (just an example)

happy (whatever you want) mapping

m.