[Talk-br] MapRoulette, era Re: Novidades

Andreas Schmidt schmidt-postfach em freenet.de
Sábado Novembro 8 09:26:23 UTC 2014

Hi Arlindo,

very good idea!
I am one of those 'armchair' mappers mentioned.

When using the IBGE data, I found out

- all names are printed in capitals, which results in a problem for me
not knowing the correct spelling rules when typing e.g. „RUA VINTE E
CINCO DE ABRIL" - there are many possibilities to write „vinte“, „e“,
„cinco“, „de“ and „abril“ in capitals or not.

- diacretics are not present in the capitalized words. So I don't know
whether it means e.g. „rua do cimeterio“ or „rua do cimetério“ (well, in
this case, I learned 'cimetério' should be correct)

- there are a number of 'street names' that are not names actually, but
are descriptive, e.g. „RUA SEM DENOMINACAO“ (street with no name) or
„RUA PROJETADA 02“ or „RODOVIA PARA CAJUITA“ (I guess the latter name
means just 'road to Cajuita')

So it would be very helpful to have a web site where one can lookup

- rules how to type Brazil words correctly

- a list of descriptive names which are not actually names and should
not be used as street names in OSM

kind regards
Andreas (Germany)

By the way, just now the IBGE layers are not working in JOSM