[Talk-ca] Import Geobase Geopolitical Boundaries

Michel Gilbert michcasa at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 02:43:14 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I have worked on the Geobase Canadian Geopolitical Boundaries.
I took the prov_ab_p_geo83_e.shp file that contains the administrative
areas: provinces and Territories and convert them as OSM boundaries.
First, I prepared Geobase Geopolitical Boundaries - OSM map
features<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GeoBase_Import#Geobase:_Canadian_Geopolitical_Boundaries>,

then I created FME Workbench to extract, transform and load the
boundary polygons in xml/osm format.

The results <ftp://ftp.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/nsprod/mg/osm/> can be seen with
JOSM but it is very slow. The file is heavy,
a lots of nodes (162305 nodes) to define the ways. For example,
British Columbia boundary has 19673 nodes, Northwest Territories has 49189
I found it very difficult to process, very consuming in time and cpus.

Comments are welcome. Not ready for an upload yet.

Cheers,

Michel