[Talk-ca] GeoBase Import Rev 2 - where we stand now CanVec (like Ibycus before combined maps)

Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 9 14:09:13 GMT 2008

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Sam Vekemans wrote:

> So anyway...
> No bother with GeoBase anymore... as it's CanVec which has all the data
> already done.

With respect to the road network one thing  to consider is update frequency.
The Canvec data is updated twice a year, geobase seems to publish when they
get the data ready.

Right now only 4 provinces/territories have street names and 3 with
addresses. I think we are going to be very anxious for the updates that add
street names to the other provinces.  I am not sure how far canvec lags
behind the geobase updates.

Pulling the road data from geobase doesn't exclude pulling additional layers
from canvec.  I think we would still want to deal with each layer (or
related layers) as seperate projects.

> Cheers,
> Sam

Steve