[Talk-ca] Canadian data - GeoGratis (and an accuracy rant)

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Dec 11 00:39:28 GMT 2008

Michel,

  Great Wikipedia link!  I've found that most people get a glazed look in
their eyes if I say precision is about repeatability, so I usually just
stick with the number-of-digits explanation, or use the dartboard/target
 example if they show any interest at all.

  Coming up with a way to state the accuracy so most people will
understand can be a challange.  One way is to say "within 20 meters at 2
sigma", another (less rigorous) way is "suitable for mapping at
1:20,000". And finally, the rather ambiguous "+/- 20 meters".  And while
these are similar, they are not really the same.  But on the other hand,
they're close enough for non-rigorous discussions...

  But anyway, I wanted to get people thinking about mixing 1:50k CanVec
data (+/- 50m) with GPS-gathered data (+/- 5m).  Is tagging with the
"source" of the data enough?

Thanks!
Brent Fraser