[Talk-ca] Fwd: Why import all of Geobase/Canvec?

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 12 04:10:02 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Kevin Farrugia <kevinfarrugia at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we just have to be a bit conscious of project creep and that the map
> doesn't become too busy.

I have to agree, however from the opposite side of the fence.
Hydrology and elevation contours are major natural features that are
important parts of the information that can be represented on a map.
I'd rather see rivers and lakes versus pubs and mailboxes.

I can make a detour around a mailbox on my way to the river much
easier than detouring around a river on my way to the mailbox. Which
items are much more significant to the map user?

Obviously someone looking for a mailbox would find mailbox locations
to be very useful, but if he can't get to the mailbox because there's
a river keeping him from the mailbox that doesn't appear on the map,
how useful is the map of mailbox locations?

Falling off a cliff on your way to the local pub could put a dent in
your plans as well.

One also has to remember that if the information is available, you can
choose not to use it, but not vice-versa. Choose only the layers that
are of interest to the end user.

James
VE6SRV