[Talk-ca] GeoBase and OpenStreetMap - welcome

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 10:11:42 GMT 2008

Hi, 1st off, thanks for joining in the group, i'm sure your help will be
most valuable.

I'll need a little bit (a couple days) to go over each of your points with a
more formal response.

The only thing I didn't see is the relationship with the CanVec data, (that
I am currently exploring), making a chart showing the relation from this
dataset to how we look at it in OpenStreetMap. .. matching the labels, with
OpenStreetMap tags. For the import program to use.

For now, thats my biggest question, as road and Hydro & Topo data are also
available CanVec.  The question/issue raised was about update frequency.
Which one do we focus on?

What is the other complete download of geobase data?  I know that 1 of them
from for the Ibycus topo. My guess would be OSGeo?

And for dealing with updates? We are planning on making a program which is
able to detect current points in the OSM database, which have the the same
attributes, and place the GeoBase (NRCan) ID onto it, and where no OSM data
exists, place this new GeoBase data onto it.

(to talk-ca list: .. similar to how the renderer has a list of common
elements which the program knows how to read (and then creates the maptile),
the rest it avoids, or makes a note that there is an error and fills out a
big report)

Our biggest assumption would be that the NRCan ID that is placed on the data
would not change, so that when more attributes are available ie. house
numbers, these attributes can be added onto the OSM database, provided it
doest aleady exist.
So the program could essentially be run several times over, grabbing
different datafiles, going through the whole list of NRCan to OSM common
elements. (this way, different elements can be added at different times) ...
so only when when people are ready to work with it.  As there will be some
manual adjusting, as tagging from both sides wont be perfect, and so this
program will be updated as people find errors.
(ps. a timestamp, the date the NRCan data was added would be on of the tags
that the program would look at too, and perhaps the date of
the original source also.  As this is a good point of reference)

Does this make sense?
I know that it's technically possible to make such a program, it's just a
matter of finding the right people out there who can make it work. :)

I will get back to you after i had a chance to go over your message in
further detail, so to answer all your questions.  I'm sure others might also
respond too. (as this is an open discussion group).

Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails