[Talk-ca] CanVec Data - 11 themes and keywords

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 11:17:04 GMT 2008

Hi there,
 Im working on the wiki page, so to list all the different entities in the
CanVec Data set, as well as list those entities which are also in the
GeoBase dataset (and just put a link to that wiki chart)

What i am looking for is a clarification about the Key Words, vs. the 11
themes.  What are 'key words'?  ... As i really need it to be;

In OSM language for the feature catalogue, where we have 2 categories,
Physical and non physical, and then break it down in to sections.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features

I just dont want to be missing anything. :)
I would like to make the chart so that when users download a particular
CanVec tile, they can look at the different file names in the zip file, and
figure out which file is which.  Then they can use the conversion script
program to convert it to OSM readable script.  The chart would obviously
show what file name (number) to looks for, and match it up to the right OSM
map feature.  (the script would simply run through the 90 map features, as
we don't need to make 90 different scripts)

(Sorry if i missed it) Does each file in the zip file for each tile, contain
just one map feature?
Or it it a whole category?
Are there more than these 90 available from CanVec?

Thanks,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails

P.S. (for the talk-ca list) Im still working on the GeoBase Import page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GeoBase_Import and would really
appreciate more feedback on the talk side.  I do think that we are now
getting closer to the import as we have nailed down the best ideas.  I took
a step back and decided to define what 'Importing Government Data' actually
meant, and tried to explore all the possible angles that we have been
discussing.  I hope i covered them all. Please to let me know what parts
needs fixing and go ahead and stick notes on sections where your lost ....
(I have a tendency to drag on ...and on ... :)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Importing_Government_Data