[Talk-ca] Data Import in Austria

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 03:21:16 GMT 2008

Oops, i pressed a 'send' to fast :)
(directed to talk-ca list)
anyway, i guess that once the full import is done with all features
added, it should spark some major interest in the project. (so less
need to be concerned about updates)

I like the idea of converting the new data to osm format, this way yes
the team working on the area really would need to work together so to
avoid duplicate work.

By using that (to-be-imported-osm-file) we can do selective extracts.

Although our 'mapping-army' is small; it just means that it will take
more time. (3.3 people per square km)

I'm ok with Nova Scotia, yukon & alberta to start. And if we take or
time; (and bug the other provinces), by the time we got those 3 fully
merged, the other provinces could be ready.

Fyi -we do have Scouts canada who (probably-maybe) would be able to
help once we got the system roling. :)

I do think that were all clear on; not to import anything  from CanVec
that is already in GeoBase & make it clear when doing the chart. :)

I think were also   clear that we can make the import process easy so
that any  one working on the area can figure it out (showing a step by
step instruction page)

thats all i got 4 now,
happy holidays

Sam Vekemans