[Talk-ca] New Zealand Data

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Sat Jul 5 02:05:11 BST 2008

Corey Burger wrote:
> Robin,
>
> I was just reading your thread on legal-talk[1] about importing the NZ
> crown copyright data. We here in Canada have a similar set of data via
> GeoBase[2] and I had wondered what the outcome was. Did the LINZ data
> get imported? Was LINZ happy with the attribution?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Corey
>
> [1] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2008-March/000860.html
> [2] http://www.geobase.ca/

I believe we were fairly close to agreement with Natural Resources
Canada on use of the Geobase data, see
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2008-April/000943.html

I don't see any comments really about that post, beyond me and one
person questioning the CC version that was referenced.

The biggest issue with it is that currently only Alberta, British
Columbia and Nova Scotia provide street names, the rest the roads with
exception of the highways are nameless. Though this is changing, back in
April only Nova Scotia was providing the names in their dataset. Now
there are 3 though it may be an idea to start importing those and
hopefully by the time thats done other provinces may have gotten the
updated datasets with roads contributed. I've already written a tool to
do the conversion to our data format, and I'm also willing to spearhead
the import process if we are ready to move along and no one else has any
objections.

-Jason Reid