[Talk-ca] SOTM 2008: The State of The (Canada) Map

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Jul 8 22:17:32 BST 2008

On 8 Jul 2008, at 13:55, James Ewen wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:27 PM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
>
>> I would just run some mapping parties, and remember to go for a drink
>> afterward. They're basically proven effective and shouldn't cost
>> anything at all to run.
>
> Sure thing... how many people here want to fly in to Fort McMurray, AB
> to map it? I wonder how many people are going to be able to do that
> for free.

I think you're being obtuse. From looking at the map it wouldn't take
me much time to map the whole place myself so it doesn't need a party.

> Sorry I don't agree on your statement of "shouldn't cost anything at
> all to run". My employer subsidizes most of my OSM mapping, but they
> don't know it. Unfortunately I keep going back to the same places over
> and over again. I get in a little bit of deviations from the norm when
> I can, but it's going to take a long time to be able to map all of
> Northern Alberta this way.

I know I'm helplessly stupid and lame, but, to run a party in my
nearest city (San Francisco) basically costs nothing. I get a space
for free (or just go to starbucks). I drive, cycle or walk there. I
put out the publicity using the internet. People turn up, we do some
mapping and I show them how to do stuff, then we grab a drink
afterward. None of these costs are different from any other Saturday.

> On another tangent, if the licensing issues can be settled, we might
> soon have a base map provided by the Government of Canada upon which
> to build. This is probably our best avenue to pursue. A base map will
> get 95% of the roads in the database, and making minor edits and
> adding new roads can then become the priority.

I'm working on that from the OSMF PoV

Best

Steve