[Talk-ca] [Talk-us] Fwd: shape files of US states and great lakes

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Jul 8 23:25:35 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 14:30 -0700, SteveC wrote:
> > From: SteveC <steve at cloudmade.com>
> > Date: 8 July 2008 14:26:02 PDT
> > To: talk-us <talk-us at openstreetmap.org>, talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
> > Subject: shape files of US states and great lakes
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I've had a chat with jon who runs the tile server and an interim
> > solution to getting the great lakes and US/CA state borders on the
> > map is if there are Free shapefile(s) somewhere with said stuff on it.
> >
> > Can anyone help?

I see the US State and county borders are already in place.  The US
border through the Great Lakes is shown as following the US side of the
lakes, which is incorrect.  The border mostly "splits the difference" in
the lakes.

GeoBase has data files that include geopolitical boundaries.  Perhaps
these show a better representation of the Great Lakes portion of the
border?

http://geobase.ca/geobase/en/data/cgb/index.html

I imagine that this will be part of the Canadian upload project when we
get started on the GeoBase road network data.