[Talk-ca] SOTM 2008: The State of The (Canada) Map

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 9 02:46:36 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 6:41 PM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

>> We need to find and enlist GPS enabled users currently... I found out
>> about OSM from the Geocaching community, if I recall correctly. Hmm, I
>
> Disagree again - I carry around a pack of 10 GPS units to lend to
> people at mapping parties.

Cool, where do I find those 10 packs of GPS units at no cost? I'm
still using my Garmin GPSII+. I managed to find BSGPS which will log
my travels so I don't have to stop every 1024 seconds to download my
track.

>>We need to spread the
>> word and build the membership base around here currently.
>
>Absolutely wrong. I'm running lots of mapping parties in the US where
>OSM is totally unknown. I contact the geography departments, hikers,
>cyclists and so on and the results are good.

So, do you send these distant groups free GPS units? Do you attend
these mapping parties? If so, how do you get there at no cost?

I'm also not sure how you keep the OSM project a secret from these
people that you get to map out an area for you. It sure seems like you
would be spreading the word, and bringing more people into the OSM
community through these activities.

James