[Talk-ca] SOTM 2008: The State of The (Canada) Map

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 9 19:38:37 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 8:57 AM,  <simon at mungewell.org> wrote:

> I can understand your frustration, from what I have seen you have
> contributed a hell of a lot of data and it's obvious from your comments
> that you wish other to help out.

I'm not frustrated, just trying to get people to realize that step one
is getting people interested and participating. I added a bunch of
information for my local County, you're adding a whack of information
for your local area, Xellos is slowly mapping out southwestern
Edmonton. Now, if there were 60 more people doing this, the work would
progress 20 times faster.

> However I am still optimistic for OSM. This data will never disappear, it
> can only get more complete.... we will 'win' in the end.

I agree... just with more people, the end will be here sooner.

> My local MD (Crowsnest Pass) have some funding to do some signage on local
> footpaths/hikes. I am trying to get them interested in the mapping/GPS
> maps side of thing as well. If this happens we get a few more people
> involved.

Agreed, bring more people onboard.

> Also the local ATV/Snowmobile crowd have produced maps in the past. If I
> can get a couple of these people interested we will get a whole load of
> trails.

Trails, and possibly more people tracking roads in their area and beyond.

> My target for next summer is to be able to drop a local trails map at the
> staging posts for ATV/Snowmobiles, with a map on one side and OSM blub on
> the other. Many people travel quite some distance to go off roading, it's
> quite possible that they'll get hooked on the idea and go off and map
> their own town.... possibly even Fort McMurray.

Again, bringing more people onboard.

> Just remember, real achievements take time....

I realize that, and with only a handful of people doing the work, it
takes a long time. Promotion is the key in my mind.

James