[Talk-ca] [OSM-talk] Tagging unamed cycle routes following normal roads.

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 10 22:18:51 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 2:10 AM, Dave Stubbs <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk> wrote:

> You could also stop passing cyclists and ask them if they know what
> route it is. Sooner or later you'll find someone who can tell you...

But what if they read the name of the route off of the map that is
copyright? Does this mean it's now public information? Does that mean
that if someone reads the road names off of GoogleEarth, and tells me
what they are, that I can use this information in OSM?

Copyright laws are a pain in the butt... I put road names in OSM from
local knowledge, but I might have first learned the road name from a
map or other source that I do not have authorization to reuse. If I
first saw the name on a map with a copyright, does that mean I can
never use that information in the future?

James