[Talk-ca] OpenAerialMap for geoBase Data? Yahoo! Image 2006 i-cubed?

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 06:04:16 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Sam Vekemans
<acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Im trying not to beat a dead horse... its not dead yet.. ;)
> Thanks James & Corey as well as Dale for giving a bit more insight.
>
> Looking at the OSM cycle map, i see that topo information IS there, so thats
> cool.
> Im looking at OpenTopoMap.. and see that it does ask for what attribution to
> be added. .. So im guessing that GeoBase could be added in there with the
> source?
>
> .. As GeoBase also holds satalite imagery.. that got me wondering, as now
> there is GeoBC... (i read i the paper about how they gave Google Earth the
> ability to use that.. but i dont know details.
> http://aardvark.gov.bc.ca/apps/gga/detailHome.do?action=showGoogleEarthPage
>> looks like thats a whole lot of info.. not really sure how it relates to
> GeoBase.. humm.

I didn't realize that GeoBase has their own aerial/satellite imagery.
We should investigate using that to trace over and the legal
implications of such.

The GeoBC stuff is separate and still under crown copyright (non-commercial).

> But more importantly:
> Now im using Kosmos (its on the main wikiOSM page as the feature) .. and it
> has the option to view the map with satalite imagery... from  Landsat (from
> Nasa)... so thats wild. ... makes it ALMOST like google earth :). ..
> The other option Kosmos gives is to download from OpenArealMap.org ..
> Which looks very similar to opentopmap. ..
> My guess is that once it gets bigger it would be added as an option for OSM.

OpenAerialMap is already an option with Potlatch.

> Noting about how on OSM we are using Yahoo!'s areal maps.. and we need to
> show the Yahoo! icon at the bottom corner... thats no different than showing
> the GeoBase logo (or just the text GeoBase.. and thats the attribute that
> yahoo wanted,.. and got.

The Yahoo imagery shown in Potlatch has nothing to do with OSM. That
is pulled in via the Yahoo! API.

> So .. if we can have Geobase's data for free, as long as we show the
> attributes...  data onto OpenAerialMap.org and OpenTopoMap.org that could
> help... as one way around this delema. ..
>
> yep, just checked.. the Ibycus topo's map reference is the same. So the free
> OSM Atlas could have that.. its fine to have GeoBase as its source. (from
> the books prespective)

So in sum. We are still stuck with GeoBase data with regards to OSM
but should investigate GeoBase imagery. That being said, there is
nothing stopping somebody other than OSM to taking the OSM data and
portraying it over GeoBase base files (imagery/topo) as long as both
licenses are adhered to.

Corey