[Talk-ca] [montreal] Montreal Mapping Weekend

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Mon Jul 21 13:26:31 BST 2008

Hi Richard,

> > http://techno.marchildon.net/2008/07/18/mapping-party-a-montreal/
>
> Wonderful news.  I'm thrilled to see so much Canadian OSM activity.

Great news indeed.  I didn't know that.  I just left a comment on
Nicolas' page mentioning the Sherbrooke party.

> Since Montreal, Sherbrooke and Hamilton (Ontario) are all looking at a
> mapping party for the weekend of September 20th, perhaps we can make
> this a Trans-Canada OSM Fiesta, or something?

I'd also left a comment on the SQIL's site
http://2007.sqil.info/fr/annonce-dates-sqil-2008 hoping to make a Québec
national level event, but I would be thrilled if the event had
instantiations from coast to coast.  One event that could be used for
leverage is the Software Freedom Day (Sep 20).  Mapping one's own
neighborhood is a pretty potent realization of the principles of free
software especially that of sharing with one's neighbour.  I was
thinking yesterday that a mapping party would also be a prime example of
applying the principle of "act locally, think globally".

> Jason, you have mentioned and an interest in a party in Alberta.
> Richard D. you have Hamilton under control.  Yves is getting Sherbrooke
> going.  Are any others interested in adding parties?
>
> This is exciting.

Since there is no scaling issues here (no central organization, just
samll parties), anybody has ideas as to how to generate widespread
interest in a giant mapping party and get some coverage in the news ?
Maybe pointing the media towards other mapping parties that will occur
before Sep 20 and mentioning Canada will be partying on Sep 20-21 too ?

Cheers,

Yves