[Talk-ca] Importing geobase data, learning from everyone

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Thu Nov 27 23:57:51 GMT 2008

Sam Vekemans wrote:
> My guess was then that it was a bulk '1-time, almost-blind' import?
> Which required a whole bunch of fixing up when in OSM data area....
>
> This seems to be true when thinking about every case for importing
> lots of data.
>
> Unless these reference numbers can be somehow kept and archived as a
> layer, so we would have both, the blanket imported, data.... in the
> busy areas it doesn't get imported. So then we can turn on the layer
> and 'trace' over the data in that layer.
>
> So it becomes a 2 part process.
> 1 - Have all the Geobase data as a Layer, as a plug-in? (like Yahoo
> imagery is currently vailable) so then all the reference data can be
> kept safe and sound.
> -and include all the 7 types of GeoBase data as layers in this set.
>  (including Canadian imagery)
> -so it can be updated, as geobase gets updated (in real-time?).
> 2 - Do a blanket import (1 tile at a time) and include all the  data
> in it. .. so then on tiles of major cities, (bbox to as tight as
> possible) no import happens. ... users would be then able to install
> the plug-in and trace over that layer.  (dealing with corner cases..
> conflicts.. etc)
>
> Is that technically possible?
>
> Sam
>
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net
> <mailto:dave at sr71.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 11:20 -0800, Sam Vekemans wrote:os> (aside:
>     What about converting rejected data to 'highway=road'?)
>     > when new geobase data is available, the script would be the
>     same, only
>     > look at the road name and road class in close proximity, and add
>     whats
>     > missing.
>
>     This is a very easy thing to say, but exceeding hard to accomplish in
>     practice.  We've thought about it extensively for the newer TIGER
>     revisions, but haven't come up with anything that we're happy with.
>     There are just plain too many corner cases to deal with.
>
>     -- Dave

Yes. There is a Geobase WMS server that shows at least the linestrings
as red lines, so we could always setup a custom WMS to render it out a
bit more granular. Or a second mapnik site and use the JOSM plugin that
allows displaying the slippymap behind the map data. The latter could
even be used partially to test the import before its put into the main
API (I've got one already running at http://openstreetmap.ca/map/ with
the result of the prototype import, however it appears that its not
fully running right now so most tiles aren't rendered)

-Jason Reid