[Talk-ca] GeoBase import goals

Michel Gilbert michcasa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 20:25:17 GMT 2008

Hi Richard and all,

2008/11/28 Richard Weait <richard at weait.com>

> Things I'd like to see from our collaboration with GeoBase.  Some of
> these things my be harder than others.  But we can't get there if we
> don't plan where we are going.  I hope that you'll add your thoughts
> here and in the wiki.

Plan is very important, somehow we will have to translate the ideas into
tasks, priorities then put them in a timeframe.

> NRN added to OSM without clobbering OSM contributions.  And in such a
> way that future NRN updates are easier to incorporate to OSM than the
> original import.

As we mentioned in others threads, NRN is the more difficult theme to
import. Geometry matching is a hard task and can't be fully automatic. The
maintenance will be easier althougth the original osm will not be associated
to any geobase id.

> Geographical names data base.  Make generous use of the is_in tag to
> help with indexing.
>
> Canadian boundary data in OSM.  There is no reason for Canada to remain
> an undifferentiated mass of maple syrup and poutine.  Let's have
> provincial (etc.) boundaries.

Why don't we start with this one. It is light and easy to integrate. It will
help to set the collaboration in phase ;).

> Hey kid, want a WMS server?  GeoBase has aerial imagery for us.  In some
> places it is higher resolution than current YWMS.  If only we had a WMS
> server to use it in our editors.
>
> Block level addressing in the Karlsruhe style where GeoBase provides
> addressing data.

I have just thought about the addressing. If we do not import all geobase id
how can make the address model work ?

> National hydro network.  Include this in OSM.

Michel