[Talk-ca] importing geobase

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 20:58:09 GMT 2008

Ok thanks Jason, that makes sense. :)

The people who did the Marble Desktop were able to have that as a
toggle switch. I just did a search, and i see that somone asked about
WMS support, and see that it's in the pipeline for it.

I don't really see a purpose of going any deeper than the red lines,
as all the geobase data would be rendered. .. as the map is used as
tracing.   ... or maybe there is?

Once you have that code in there to switch the projection, i'll post
screenshots of what it looks like, and over the various areas.

Until the Geobase data gets imported, i think the best bet is to focus
on providing the GPS Map's showing both the Ibycus Topo, and the OSM
data. .. this way, when people are out there mapping.. they can see
right way, what is missing from both maps, and add it in on OSM.  As
we want to try and eliminate (as much as possible) people being
disappointed, by mapping what is going to be imported.)
Yes, the map would look a little messey, but would allow for the finer
details to be worked on, in the mean time. .. as we dont know how long
it will be. .
.. Afterall, we want we want to ensure that the tile by tile import
(assuming that no responce, means agreement) gets imported and
converted in the best possible way. . there's a TONNE of data
available, and would be best to make sure that each type does get
automatically converted, as much as possible.
... (for those of you who have not downloaded and used the map, i
HIGHLY recommend it, so you can see the extent of what is available.)

Just as how Ibycus did, where some lines showed up as railway tracks,
when they were supposed to be power lines. .. or trails listed as
roads etc. I think the way Ibycus did it, was starting with the most
common areas, and getting feedback and working with the comments.
So in this case, it would be those test areas, and making sure
everyone knows about it,  ... as it's not very reversible. .. assides
from manually going to an area and selecting, unless it's possable to
search and select only certain tags?

I would like to go ahead and, on each wiki page, for each city, post
the hybred Mapsource map view, so people can see it, and download both
tiles directly.
... will do so, only after approval from people on this list.

I'll be in touch with those locally in the area, as to get direct
feedback (in person where possable). .. 'cause i'd rather show on the
Wiki pages what 'should' be posted rather than just my ideas.