[Talk-ca] Randonneur data?

Mike Sherman mike.sherman at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 2 22:30:31 BST 2008

Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 17:00 -0400, Mike Sherman wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I just joined this list.  I live in Cleveland, OH, USA

>> I'm writing here to ask how to get these groups together.
>> I know there are active Randonneur clubs in Alberta, BC,
>> and Ontario.  There are probably clubs in all provinces.
>>
>> I'm on the email list for Randonneurs Ontario
>> http://www.randonneursontario.ca/
>> <http://www.randonneursontario.ca/>
>> and I was going to suggest to the list that members with
>> GPS' start recording traces.
>>
>> If some take up the suggestion, how best should the trace
>> be linked to a queue sheet for the route it follows?  If
>> they get involved and start entering map data, even better!
>
>Hi Mike,
>
>Welcome.
>
>Great idea about the Randonneur community.  Perhaps photo-mapping is a
>good way for cyclists to record their survey notes without intruding too
>much on the business of their cycle trip?  If you are not familiar with
>photo mapping, have a look at:
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Photo_mapping

I've done a bit of photo mapping.  I think it would be intrusive
on a long Rando ride (the rides are called brevets).  The 300 km
events take me 18 hours to ride (I'm slow).  Sleep deprivation
is part of the challenge of the longer rides.  So riders are trying
to follow a queue sheet at night after many hours of riding.  Most
would not want to stop to take photos and taking rolling photos
could be dangerous.  Plus, if they are not going to do the mapping
themselves, they have to make the photos available as opposed to just
a queue sheet.

 >Best regards,
>Richard
Thanks,