[Talk-ca] Randonneur data?

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Tue Sep 2 22:39:21 BST 2008

[...]
> Great idea about the Randonneur community.  Perhaps photo-mapping is a
> good way for cyclists to record their survey notes without intruding too
> much on the business of their cycle trip?  If you are not familiar with
> photo mapping, have a look at:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Photo_mapping

I was just out photo mapping yesterday and I have a few
recommendations if you choose this route, mainly with respect to your
choice of camera.  First, make sure your camera can focus quickly.  If
it can't, then it's hardly worth using.  My Kodak C330 is pretty bad
in this regard so I had to slow down to basically walking speed to get
a decent picture.  I had much better success with a Panasonic DMC-LX2
I used a couple weekends ago.

Second, more megapixels is nice if the camera's sensor can make use of
them; you won't have to be as close to get a legible picture.

Third, try to find a camera that has a very tight response time
between pressing the button and taking the picture.  This is related
to the focus issue I mentioned.  It's quite a pain to press the button
and then have to hover around the sign post for 5 seconds, keeping the
camera aimed at the sign, waiting for the picture to take, hoping
dearly that you don't move the camera too much and miss the sign.

Fourth, and probably most obviously, try to find a camera that isn't
too big.  A huge DSLR will probably not work out so well.

For these reasons and the reasons just pointed out by Mike Sherman,
you may wish to try audio mapping instead
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Audio_mapping).  I haven't
tried it myself, but it looks quite promising.

Denver