[Talk-ca] Canadian Mapping Fiesta summary

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Sun Sep 28 20:56:39 BST 2008

> Hi all,
>
> The Software Freedom Day Mapping Fiesta was last weekend and here is a
> summary of the results.

Hey Richard,

Thanx for the coast to coast report !  I know small is beautiful and
getting a few people with GPS's isn't that hard (well ;-) ), but I'm
shooting for a wider grassroots participation for the long term.  Just
like there are maintainers for sections of Wikipedia, I think we should
strive to get local maintainers for the map.  I don't think it would be
easy to get people to take responsibility for their sector so maybe an
easier way would be to get schools in the bandwagon.  They could take
responsibility for the map in their area.  I can't imagine more
interesting an activity for GPS beginners in high schools (geography
class ??) than updating a sector in their city/neighborhood and taking
care of map accuracy.

I think I'll drop a line to my School board to let them know about our
mapping activity (3 small hours !!) and hopefully transfer enough hype
that they feel it would be a great pedagogical and social activities.  I
suggest all party organizers do the same.  The more people maintain the
map, the easier and the more accurate it is. Plus, it's less work for
party organizers .. sort of :-)

Cheers,

Yves from Sherbrooke