[Talk-ca] Newbee questions...

richard at weait.com richard at weait.com
Tue Sep 30 04:25:46 BST 2008

> Some newbee Open Street Map questions (sorry to the old timers here
> who no doubt have heard this stuff before...),

Hi Colin,

Good to see that you have really caught the OSM-bug.

> Earlier this month I was in Perth ON, and I have tossed up material
> based on what I collected with a very cheap GPS receiver from that
> trip. I have run into small issues from the trip. like:
>
> - In behind the Perth town hall is a bandstand, a roughly 20' across
> octagon that raises a band maybe 3' above the ground, and provides a
> roof in case of rain/snow. Okay, so how does one tag something like
> that? For now I have used the "Arts Centre" tag, as it is a performing
> arts location (of the most basic sort), but is there a better tag?

Not a bad choice.  Why not have a look at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features and revive
Music_venue, or add "stage" or "bandshell"?

> - How do you insert traffic lights into the maps. For Perth the two
> key intersections with traffic lights (there are a few other not so
> key intersections) are at Gore/Foster and Foster/Wilson...

Select the node for the traffic signal.  Add highway=traffic_signals to
that node.

> - I have run into oddities with JOSM map editor, and managed by
> accident to turn a small island into a roadway. A mistake I don't want
> to repeat, so finding a tutorial on the use of JOSM would be nice...

I find myself deselecting everything periodically by selecting an empty
space to avoid accidentally changing an island to a road.

> - I have not directly uploaded the GPS tracks I collected on that trip
> because most start and/or stop of a family member's driveway. I would
> prefer not to make things PAINFULLY obvious as to where said person
> lives. Is there a painless way to delete parts of a track?

vim / gedit will work.
gpsbabel does wonderful things. Try an include polygon that excludes the
Bat Cave.  http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/filter_polygon.html